Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the states. It’s a holiday that I always have loved. In our family, we would cook up a major feast, watch football and just enjoy the company of other family members. This will be the second Thanksgiving I’ve been out of luck on since living here in Australia. I miss it every time it has come around. Thanksgiving to me, aside from the food, was always the “marker” that meant Christmas is soon on it’s way. The cold nights, the raining days, it got me prepared for Christmas and the holidays in general. Once Thanksgiving hit, you knew that Christmas was just around the corner. Every store would be decked out with Christmas decorations and every time you went into a store, they’d be playing Christmas music. Even though I hated shopping for Christmas because of all the people, it really gave everyone a sense of true holiday spirit.

I thought that because I’m not going to be home with my family celebrating Thanksgiving, I’d take a moment to write all of the things that I’m thankful for. Thanksgiving is more than just about the turkey and football on tv. It’s about the history of the holiday and just why we have it. I know I won’t be able to write down EVERYTHING that I’m thankful for, but I thought a top 10 list would be nice. My list may seem trivial or even strange to some people, but at the same time, we’re all thankful for different things in our lives.

10 Things I’m Thankful for….

1).....the parents and support system I have had with everything that has gone in my life. Without the support of my parents and everyone else in my life, I don’t think I would have turned out the way I have.
2).....my partner, even though our relationship isn’t perfect, every day I think about just how lucky I am. I am so thankful I am that we’ve been able to find each other in this huge world. And to have made it thus far, someone is surely watching over us, and I’m more than thankful for that.
3).....the brains and the power I’ve been given. I don’t know much about my life before the age of 4, and I feel very thankful that nothing horrendous affected me physically or mentally. Maybe it was the way I was brought up here in the states, but I’m so thankful that I didn’t have any visible disabilities. Even if I did, I’m sure I would have managed. But with the fact that I know nothing about my history, I’m so thankful that I grew up healthy.
4).....being able to stay here in Australia, despite everything that has happened with immigration. I know I talk about this topic a lot, and it consumes much of my life. But I’m so thankful that I wasn’t deported and sent back home. I’m thankful that I was given a chance to explain myself, and I just hope that I will be able to stay.
5).....technology, without it, I’d be up a creek without a paddle. Technology, from the computers and internet, to telephones and airplanes, they’ve all been a huge part of my life. And without it, life would be so much harder. I grew up in a generation where life didn’t seem difficult. Everything was within my grasp, and it was possible to grab at these things. A generation earlier, some would not be so fortunate.
6).....women existing. I think even if I wasn’t gay, I’d still be thankful for th existence of women. Women are wonderful and beautiful creatures, and we bring so much to the table. I’ve met so many phenomenal women in my life thus far, and even though I may not still keep in touch with all of them, I’d just like to take some time out and thank them. I want to thank them for each giving me something that I will take with me for as long as I will live.
7).....the chance at freedom. Even though there are a lot of things I’d love to change about the world, and living, I’m thankful for the things that I’ve already been given. I hear other countries where gay and lesbian people are prosectued, as well as women..and I’m so thankful that I don’t live in a society where it’s demeaning to be gay or a women. Sure, gay and lesbians don’t have equal rights as their counterparts, but we are at least able to live our life like we should. In truth, we’re able to just live our life. I’m so thankful that I live in a society that believes in the freedom of individuals. I don’t know how well I’d be able to live in a different form of government.
8).....comedy, whether it be on tv, or in the movies. There have been many times where I’ve needed a laugh. And if I would go see a movie or watch a sitcom on tv, it made me feel so much better. Laughter is a great remedy for stress and a lot of other ailments. Plus laughter is a way to break the ice with someone, to make a situation more comfortable. I enjoy laughing, and if I can’t make people laugh, then I’m more than happy having others make me laugh.
9).....my pets. I’ve had many pets in my lifetime and every one of them meant something special to me. Having pets helped fill a void of being lonely and isolated. If I was sad, I’d just hug one of my kitties or my sheep. If I needed to talk to someone, but didn’t want to actually talk to a human, talking to animals was great for me. People may have thought it was strange, and that may be true. But even though I couldn’t get a reaction back, just knowing I was talking, and letting it out, it always made me feel better.
10).....the ability to have food on my table when ever I feel the hunger. So many countries are striken with poverty. I eat food and don’t think twice about it. I’m fortunate that I get the chance to have food. But there are so many people, both young and old who don’t get this luxury. Things are hard for them, and I can’t even imagine how hard it is. But maybe, and this is just speculation, because they were born into poverty, they don’t see life any other way. But at the same time, people have to know the importance of having three meals a day. When I see images of young children who are starving and living in poverty stricken areas, my heart goes out to them. I take the food I have and the clothes on my back for granted. I’m very thankful that I’m able to have food in my fridge, the clothes on my back, and a roof over my head. But we all know that this could be taken away from us at any second. So we should all, who do have luxuries (what ever they are) to cherish them and be thankful for them.


-current mood-SORE, my back has been killing me lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home