Friday, November 18, 2005

Transgendered Issues, Conclusion

Because I have never been romantically involved with someone who identified as transgendered, I don’t feel like I have the sensitivity to understand what one has gone through or may go through during their lifetime. I think about my own coming out experience and how hard it was for me. But to come out as believing you were born the wrong gender, I have absolutely no idea how hard that journey is. I feel like there is more stigma toward transgendered people than there are with gay people. And even though I may never be with someone transgendered, it doesn’t stop me from befriending or being interested in the transgendered.

For some people who do date transgendered people, they don’t see it any differently. They like to believe there is as much excitement, if not more, with being with a transgendered. I commend the thoughts and views that these people have. I say this, because I sort of feel like I’m limiting myself to many great things. But maybe because I’ve never been romantically approached by a transgendered, that I just don’t understand. I don’t know how I’d react to being with a transgendered person. I say this in a respectful manner, because I honestly don’t know how I’d react. I can’t see myself being rude or mean about it, but more than likely I’d turn down a date with a transgendered. But at the same time, curosity would get the better of me, and I WOULD be interested in dating a transgendered. Mainly to find out more about them, and more about what they went through. But I wouldn’t want the date to feel like an interrogation. I’d be up front with the person and would hope that they wouldn’t get offended. Just as people find my “gayness” interesting, I’d find one’s “transgenderedism” interesting.

But when does it end for a transgendered to stop identifying themselves as such? Will they always have that “stigma” attached to them? Or will there come a time when they can say “yes I’m male” and leave it at that. Will they always have to explain themselves to everyone? Or once the operation and full transition is finished, do they then stop identifying as being transgendered?

There are still yet so many questions and thoughts that I could talk and write about. As you all can see with my posts, I am still very naïve on the topic. But I guess for me, a lesbian woman, I can’t see myself being romantically involved with someone who identifed as transgendered. But I hope that with these posts, it doesn’t make me any less of a person because of my choices. I have transgendered friends, and as I’ve said, the transgendered facinate me. I believe we’re all equal and we’re all trying to survive in this crazy thing we call life . I unfortunately though do not have a true understanding of being transgendered and I don’t think it would be fair on the person I was with, because of my insensitivity or lack of knowledge to the subject. But just as it may be someone’s choice to date a certain person, it would be my preference not to date a transgendered person. Just as a preference for me, I won’t date bisexual women. But nonetheless, I am hoping with the fact that the more I get involved in the gay and lesbian community, the more research I do, the more people I talk to, I will eventually get a better understanding of transgendered life.

-current mood-HAPPY, my partner dropped me off my dinner :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home