Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cursive handwriting

Earlier on today, I was busy writing in my cookbook. I was copying a recipe I had been keeping, but hadn’t had time to put in the recipe book yet. As I was writing, I decided to write in cursive. Usually I do not write in cursive. I don’t like cursive, but I thought to myself “self, when do I EVER get a chance to write in cursive?” I can’t remember the last time I wrote in cursive. It doesn’t seem to be something people do very often, or do they? I don’t see it in the media anywhere, and I often have asked myself “what was the use of learing cursive.”

So that of course put a lightbulb in my head and I thought I’d write about it today. Are there any other people out there that actually USE cursive on a regular basis? Maybe back in the 3rd grade when we learned denelian handwriting and then eventually cursive, teachers and people thought we’d use it. But look at how much we actually DO write? I guess in some professions, writing is inevitable, but most of the time, everything is computerized. You even think about the progression of term papers in college. Back when my parents were in school, they used typewriters. Now people are using computers, and you rarely ever see people actually writing on paper themselves. But cursive seems harder to read. I look at my dad’s cursive and he’s god awful..lol. But then I see my mum’s cursive and she’s got impeccable handwriting. I guess that’s the teacher in her.

I still don’t know why did we were ever taught cursive?? And are they still teaching it in the school curriculum these days. Is it as important now as it was back when I was in school? I think cursive can be “pretty” and if I’m feeling rushed, I’ll write in cursive. But for the most part, cursive is just not in the books for me.

-current mood-LOOKING for a new throat, mine is sore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home