Monday, November 07, 2005

Grammar

This topic has been of some interest for me to talk about. And a post in a group I’m in a few days ago brought the topic back to surface. But I have been hesitant to talk about it, because I feel like maybe some people may get offended. So I’d just like to first off state that there is no intention for me to be disrespectful or to offend anyone. I hope that maybe through talking about it, and having others post about it, I can get a better understanding of the topic. So again, if you’re reading this post, I sincerely hope you don’t get offended. Maybe you can help me understand better?

One thing that bothers me a lot, is how “black” people sometimes talk. I can’t think of what it’s even called, the certain “dialect” if you will, of how black people talk. I’m only giving this group of people a generalization because in a book I read The Twelfth Card by Jeffrey Deaver, he talks about it, and I notice it predominately with black people. A lot of times, I will talk to certain black women, and they’ll “talk” or “type” in their certain lingo. And I have a really hard time understanding it. And truth be told, I don’t really like the way the lingo goes. I think it’s fine if you’re black and you’re talking to your friends who are also black. You all know the lingo and it’s something customary to you. But someone like me who isn’t black, I don’t like the whole “yo gurl in da house, how u doing, aigh’?” kind of thing. I don’t even know if that’s even “talking” the way, but I think people will get my jist. It just bothers me, and maybe it’s because I haven’t been around it very much, if at all. Growing up, we didn’t have any one black in my school till I was a junior in high school. I don’t have any black friends, and it’s not because I don’t want to. I just have never really been able to “connect” myself with black people.

It bothers me just because I don’t like the way it sounds, and I end up spending all my time trying to decipher what is being said . I’m somewhat of a stickler when it comes to spelling and grammar, that’s with anyone. And anyone who doesn’t know how to use a dictionary, or at least spell check, it annoys me. I’m not perfect when it comes to spelling or grammer, but I do my best to not leave out letters purposefully. It seems like when I read posts from black women, they purposefully leave out letters and change them all around to make them “talk” black. I know not all black women talk this way. I have quite a few great black female friends who speak fluent English, and their grammer is impeccable. So I’m not here making any generalizations. I just seem to find this sort of thing with black people.

So that comes to my next question….what makes someone choose to “talk” this way? Is it up bringing, or is it just a way to “fit in?” Does it even have an official name? I don’t see other racial groups have their own dialect or way of talking, more so than with black people. And of course, the media doesn’t portray this whole dialect in a positive manner. Without fail, to make a black person fully “visible” they’ll add the extra emphasis on wording. And other people will make comments about how a black person talks. But I just wonder what makes certain black people talk this way and why do people choose to talk this way. Or is it really a choice? It was just something they caught onto and it’s stuck with them. Do people who talk this way talk this way in job interviews and in other professional situations? I’m not saying that it’s NOT professional to talk that way, but at the same time, I don’t think it’s something I could see someone trying to make a good impression by talking this way. If that’s just the way someone is, and that’s the way they speak, then all the power to them.

Do people who talk this way, do they think that we talk different? What about other racial groups, do they have their own “language” they speak in, aside from the actual language? I try to think about other racial groups, and I can’t think of any others that “talk” a certain way, aside from accents. Why does it seem like this sort of thing is just with the black race? Has this dialect been going on for years and years? Where does it stem from? As you can see, I don’t know a lot about this language. I try not to let it bother me, and try to look past it when I’m talking to someone, but sometimes I just can’t. Is that bad of me? I guess others could say the same with me, with how I speak. I don’t speak perfect English and maybe to them, I’m not worth talking to because I don’t know what the heck I’m saying .

-current mood-ILL, my chest hurts from coughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home