Thursday, November 03, 2005

"You have the wrong number"

Lately, probably within the last few months, my partner and I have gotten a lot of calls for other people. Before, we would get the occassional wrong number. Usually it was a call for the Holden mechanics. I think we’re one digit off from their number, and people have rang up thinking we’re a Holdon mechanic. But other than that, we rarely have gotten wrong number calls.

But the phone call we got yesterday, kind of spooked me out. At 5:15 yesterday morning, someone rang. I picked up the phone after a few rings, but the answer machine got it. No one of course left a message. Around 5:30, the phone rang again. I answered it, and after saying “hello” a few times, someone finally said “is Kelly there?” The voice was very quiet, male, and very “stalker” like. He talked so softly that I kept saying “what” to him. My partner woke up, took the phone from me and started asking him what he wanted. She said that he had said he wanted a 9749 number. My partner said that that wasn’t our digits, and the guy ended up hanging up.

This phone call totally creeped me out. Why would someone be ringing at 5:15 in the morning? And the guy was talking all soft and mysterious, I didn’t like the vibe he gave me. But we’ve been getting a lot of wrong numbers of late. I find it strange that we have a lot of wrong numbers. Our number is now private, so why would we be getting so many calls? They’ve all been for various people, never the same person. I’ve even gotten quite a few wrong numbers on my mobile phone. I haven’t had one recently, but there was a span of two weeks where I think I had three.

Part of me wonders if it’s immigration checking up on us, trying to find out whether we’re living together. Anyone can say that they live at an address, but to see if the two people actually live together, wouldn’t go past me if immigration was doing this. I’m the one who usually answers the phone, because the phone is on my side of the bed. Immigration doesn’t want to make it out that they’re “checking up” on us, so they pretend to be asking for someone else. I know I could be totally off base here, and it could just be that we’ve had a lot of wrong numbers. But immigration is a government agency, and they’ve been known to ring up at odd hours, and stop by for an impromptu visit. I sort of wish that someone would come stop by for an interview. They’d be able to see that our house is OUR house, with all of our pictures and everything. I just find it interesting that these clumps of wrong numbers seemed to have surfaced since we’ve lodged our application. Could be just coincidence of course.

The phone calls early in the morning are getting to be really annoying though. My partner works shift work, so she’s not home till 2:30am, sometimes later. So we sometimes don’t get to bed till 4:00am. And then to have someone ring at 5am or 8am, it gets on both of our nerves. Lucky for me, I am not working right now, and so I can just go back to sleep. But my partner hasn’t been feeling well lately and hasn’t been sleeping very well. So if she gets woken up, that’s it, she can’t go back to sleep.

-current mood-MOPEY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home