Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Food that I miss from home

For my birthday, I asked my family back in the states to send me some stuff. Australia here has a great range of candy, but there are just some things that I miss immensly. I’ve noticed a few things here. For one thing, peanut butter isn’t really big here. Yes, they sell peanut butter, and have peanuts in their candy, but they don’t have a lot of peanut butter stuff. They brought the new peanut butter kit kats, and have peanut clusters. But what I miss most, are the Reeses Pieces and peanut butter flavored m&m’s. So my mum and my sister both sent me a bag of Reeses Pieces, peanut butter flavored m&m’s, as well as Reeses Pieces with peanuts in them. I’m going to be all “peanutted” out. But my mum did say that eating chocolate helps relieve stress. So I’ve got plenty of it.

Another thing that I miss a lot, is the flavor of cinnamon. Yes, they have cinnamon here but not a lot of cinnamon flavored candy. I don’t think they even have cinnamon flavored gum or tic tacs. One thing I loved back at home, were fireballs. I can remember having them growing up, and I could never hold myself to sucking on one without having to take it out of my mouth at least once. The fireball starts off fine, then the longer it was in my mouth, the more intense it got. I still don’t think I can handle one in my mouth for the whole duration of the candy. But I also like the Jolly Ranchers, fire flavored candies. So I had my sister send me some of them. I’m going to be all “fired” out

Now that Halloween is just next week, well less than a week now..I really miss the Halloween spirit of things. It’s not big here in Australia, and it stinks because I LOVE carving pumpkins. I love carving them, and then roasting the seeds. I think I’ve talked about this before, but you just can’t carve anything here. They don’t have jack-o-lanterns here in Australia. Plus it’s too warm to be Halloween. I have seen a few costumes and “fightening” Halloween decorations, but the truth is, people are already getting ready for Christmas. You go into any store, and they’ll have everything all decked out in Christmas stuff.

I miss David’s Sunflower seeds. They have sunflower seeds here, but they’re just not the same as David’s. Baseball isn’t big here like it is in the states, so what’s the need for sunflower seeds? I asked for some sunflower seeds for my birthday but I didn’t get any. Maybe for my Christmas gift, I’ll get some in there. I’m not quite sure what the standards are in terms of quarantine for sunflower seeds. I think if they’re declared, and NOT opened, they can come through quarantine. I’ve sent myself sunflower seeds before and they were not taken. I just might have to do that again if I don’t get any!

-current mood-HUNGRY for sunflower seeds

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home