Sunday, October 23, 2005

Extended family

Today was my birthday celebration with my partner and her side of the family. My partner’s parents are no longer together. They’ve been separated for 4 years I think now, but they fell out of love years and years ago. But now that my partner’s parents both have their own partners, it makes family functions difficult at times. My partner’s dad’s partner wasn’t even going to come this weekend because she has “issues” with my partner’s mum. Personally, I think “it’s one day, no need to have issues.” I think that people should put their own differences aside, for the sake of a family function. We have had a few scenarios with family functions in the past, Christmas was a prime example. First it was my partner’s dad who wouldn’t be anywhere around my partner’s mum’s partner. Now it’s my partner’s dad’s partner not wanting to be around my partner’s mum. Are we confused yet?

Maybe I don’t understand what the whole hype is about, because my parents are still together. I have an uncle who has been married 3 times and just recently got married for the 3rd time. I see how he has to juggle our family with his new wife’s family. But there doesn’t seem to be any anamosity toward anyone. But with my partner’s parents’ partners, they just don’t like to be around the exes. Everyone has a past, and you have to expect it. Doesn’t mean you have to LIKE the person, or get along with them for that matter, but being civil and courteous, I don’t think that’s hard to ask. My partner’s dad’s partner is a bit snooty. I didn’t take to her very well. Maybe the reason being, the first time we met, she pretty much told me I needed to go back to school because I didn’t know an answer to a question she had for me, about percentage of communication. I don’t remember the exact question, but to tell someone she needs to go back to school, after only talking to her for like 5 minutes, I thought it was a bit rude on her part. But I know this woman doesn’t like us really and I think she feels threatened by all of us. So she does everything in her power to make my partner’s dad (her partner) not be around us. We really don’t care if she’s around us or not, because she’s too fake, and it totally shows. Plus we know how much she tries to persuade “dad” to not do things when it comes to family.

I just wish we could all get along. But I know that’s asking too much, now isn’t it? It’s to be expected that, with extended families and broken families, that there is a bit of compromise that needs to be made. But when people don’t want to do just that, that’s when we have a problem. But there were not cat fights or anything today at my party, which was nice. But you could sense some tension still in the air.

-current mood-EXCITED because it's lightening outside

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home