Sunday, October 30, 2005

"You break it, you pay for it"

Yesterday my partner and I went to Highpoint shopping center. We had a bunch of little things to buy, and going to Highpoint, we’d be able to find everything hopefully. At Highpoint, there is our favorite shop there, called Dusk. Dusk has all the nice candles and everything you need to make nice candle arrangements. There is a lot of glass stuff and other stuff that is pretty delicate. The place is always busy, so it’s not a place to go if you have kids or a lot of big bags.

So we go into the store, have a bit of a browse and there is this one display that has a lot of small glass containers that have mosaics, that you put votive candles in. There was a little girl, probably 4 years old, maybe younger. She was goofing off, pretending to drink out of the cups and was moving around and dancing. Knowing my luck, I got stuck in the moment with her. All of a sudden, before I could say anything, the little girl danced just a little too close to some votive candle holders and ended up knocking 3 of them to the ground. Two of them were fine, but one of them ended up breaking it. You know how things happen in slow motion in the movies, or on tv, that is how it was then. I told the little girl to be careful, but it was too late. There was a crash, and that’s when my partner said “you break it, you pay for it.” That’s usually the policy in a store like the one we were in.

I picked up the pieces, and took it to the mother of the little girl. Meanwhile, while I was doing all of this, the grandmother was looking around at everyone, making sure that no one was paying attention. The mother started yelling at the daughter to “come here” and to “get in” the pram. The little girl started crying, and the mother said “you are in so much trouble.” When I gave the broken votive candle holder to the woman, she asked if her daughter had broken it. I said yes, and gave her the pieces. The mother was mortified. She was angry and started telling the daughter she was in so much trouble. The girl kept on crying.

The next thing I know, is the woman, the daughter and the grandmother have quickly left the store. I felt bad because they didn’t own up to breaking the item. I didn’t know if it was my duty to report that something had been broken, even though I hadn’t done it. I don’t know how much the votive candle holder would have cost, I don’t think more than 5.00. But the woman and her grandmother shot out of the store quicker than quick. I’m surprised no one came over to see what all the commotion was. But I felt bad, and I asked my partner if I was supposed to report it. She told me that it wasn’t my responsibility to. But I still felt bad. I was afraid that I was going to get caught out, even though I hadn’t done anything wrong. But I didn’t think it was right for the woman to have left when she did. She made a big enough scene, someone should have came to see what was going on. But the store was pretty busy. Oh well, I guess because it wasn’t my fault, I wasn’t the one who should have reported it. But I did think it was pretty rude that the woman just left. I think she should have had a closer eye on her daughther, and/or shouldn’t have been in the store. If she’s going to go into a store like Dusk, she should be willing to pay for the consequences if anything was to break. I don’t have kids, so maybe I think differently. But it’s not like it would have cost this woman a fortune to pay for what HER daughter did.

-current mood-TIRED, had a long day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home