Saturday, November 19, 2005

Blogging, what perks your interest?

I’ve been blogging for about 3 months now. And in that time, I have a few loyal readers. Aside from the loyal readers, I often wonder “what makes you decide to read my blog?” Since I also have yahoo 360, what makes people decide to add me to their list. I got this topic question from browsing other people’s blog. Blogging is a great thing. It kind of strange, in the fact that you’re peeking yourself into someone else’s world. Some people are really intense with their entries, other people like to be lighthearted. But nonetheless, there is just something about someone else’s frame of mind, that intrigues me to read on.

I think for me, if someone has a picture of themselves, that is one way I’ll decide to keep reading. Now, we all know that it’s not nice to be judgemental based on looks, but it’s interesting to read about someone’s life, once you’ve already established a picture of them. For those people who don’t have pictures (like myself, of my face at least) I have yet to imagine what one may look like. It’s nice to put a face to words, but at the same time, there is a bit of mystery that makes reading someone’s blog more enticing if you don’t know what they look like.

I will say, what WON’T get me interested in reading someone’s blog, and that’s usually if I see a picture of boobs or someone’s bum hanging out of their panties. As lovely as someone’s boobs and bum may be, what fun is there in the imagination, if there isn’t anything to imagine? Some may call me prude, but unbeknownst to many lesbians out there, just because I’m gay, that doesn’t mean I wanna see your fanny or your boobs. There are plenty of other people out there who enjoy that sort of thing, so I don’t think my actions, or lackthereof is going to be missed at all .

I like reading blogs that actually have some sort of content to them. I like reading about people’s lives. I usually read only women’s blogs, whether they are gay or straight. But if someone happens to post a comment on my blog, I will read their blog. And more than likely they’ll have people commenting on their blog, and I’ll read their blog. So it’s kind of like a domino affect. I’ve met some great people who blog, and some great inspiration. There are some truly talented people out there, and I don’t really think it’s their intention. It just seems like they’re able to spill out what ever is on their mind and they are able to articulate it so well.

I have people on my yahoo 360 list that I haven’t talked to once since being added to the list. They’ve never commented on my blog, so I have no idea whether they read it or not. Is it some kind of popularity contest to them, to see who has more friends? I’d rather have less friends, but who actually communicated with me and talked to me, than have a bunch of people that I don’t even know. I’ll admit that I don’t keep in touch with everyone that I’ve added, but I’m trying to work on that. I usually keep in touch with people who blog. If you don’t have a blog, what is there really to say?

Blogging is a great way to communicate and to get one’s opinions and views across to the world. And I know that we can’t communicate with everyone, but it’d just be kind of nice to know that you have the loyal readers that you do have. I just wish more people would leave comments…that way I could get some sort of indication as to just how many loyal readers I DO have. One one of my blogs, I have a counter, to see how much traffic I get. But just how accurate is it? This post is of course, not to guilt people into leaving comments. I’d rather have genuine comments than a bunch of rubbish just for the sake of it. I guess I should be grateful when I do get a comment, it makes me feel good knowing that someone is actually reading what I write. But at the end of the day, the blog is my space, it’s an outlet for me, and that’s all that should matter.

I heard about blogging years ago, and I had started a few blogs, but never kept it going. Nor did I have the great community of friends to share my thoughts and feelings with. I used to worry about what other people would think, so I’d make my blog private. But when I started reading blogs again a few months back, I realized, “what’s the point of me worrying? There should always be a place and a space where we can feel like we can express ourselves in what ever way we see fit.” And that’s when I decided I would start a blog and I haven’t backed down since. There have been moments where I didn’t want to blog, but I forced myself to. What I write is my own things and my own views. If people don’t like it, they don’t have to read it. Just as I’m very capable of not reading about some random lesbian and her sexual escapade. What ever floats your boat right? That’s what I say. But I just think about how many different things we’re allowed to do on the internet, and I’m just so grateful that there is a place where I can write, and people can read what I write.

-current mood-RELIEVED, kitty was missing but now she's found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home