Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Lawrence and Rush jailed for life

First off, Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone. For those who are coupled, let’s hope this is a special day for you all. For those who are not, your day will come, when you’ll be able to celebrate this day. Personally, it’s just another day to me. I guess even more so, being that I haven’t been able to spend the day with my partner. We “left” each other our pressies. Maybe this weekend we’ll go out to dinner.

Now, onto a different topic. One that isn’t so rosey. As I stated last night, I was in SHOCK about the Bali 9 verdicts of the first two drug mules. For those who are unfamiliar with the case, 4 Aussies last April, strapped heroin to their bodies, and tried to aboard a plane from Bali to Sydney. They were caught, along with 5 other people, who either were part of the leadership of this drug ring, or had been found with the drugs at a nearby hotel. This case has had a bit of publicity here in Australia, along with the Schapelle Corby marijuana case. There were 8 men, and one woman. The prosecution asked that 2 of the 9 men, the ringleaders..to be executed by firing squad, the 6 men all were asked by the prosecution to get life sentences, and the sole woman, the prosecution asked for 20 years. I read an article on yahoo.com.au, and was shocked to hear that the woman, Ms. Lawrence was given a life sentence.

A life sentence in a Bali jail, is of the natural life of the person. So in essence, Ms Lawrence and Mr. Rush are going to die in a Bali prison. They may be able to serve our their sentence here in Australia, and also may be able to appeal the sentencing. But the mere thought of spending the rest of my natural life in prison, I sometimes think I’d rather end up dying. The prisons in Bali are horrific, just watch any movie that relates to drug smuggling in the Indonesian countries. You hear stories, and you think “this can’t be true” but in truth, it IS true. I’m still kind of in a daze about the verdict. I think there is a pretty good chance, that the two “ring leaders” will be sentenced to death. There are already 6 people in Bali on deathrow. Don’t know if that means all of deathrow, or just for drug related offenses. But I’ve thought about how long these people are on deathrow, and just how long it’ll take before the execution is enacted. I know with the Van Nguyen case, awhile back, this individual had been on deathrow for about 3 years I think. Will be interesting to see how the other verdicts will fall on the board. They all I believe, are supposed to be sentenced this week.

-current mood-SAD, that I don't get to spend the V-day night with my partner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home