Sunday, February 05, 2006

Midsumma Melbourne

Later on today (it’s almost mid-afternoon) my partner and I are going to the Midsumma Melbourne festival. It’s a festival, from what I can gather, that goes from January to February. It of course, revolves around the gay and lesbian community. It’s pretty much the equivalent to “pride” that happens in the states in June. We went last year, to the Victorian Pride march and had a great time. Aside from sitting next to some drama dykes, and seeing my partner’s ex girlfriend (the one that treated her like crap), it was all around a nice march and festival. There’s music, food, and of course great booths to go into. Not many freebies, but it was just nice to go to a place that we both felt comfortable.

Personally for me, I love going to these sorts of activities. I’m out and proud, and am not afraid to show it. My partner, on the other hand, is a bit more reserved. But she got right into the march, and was actually affectionate. We would walk down the street, and I’d grab her hand, she wouldn’t feel umcomfortable or try to push my hand away. My partner usually feels uncomfortable when I even put my hand on her back, like a mini hug. She hates the attention being directed toward her, and she knows, no matter what, if I grab her hand or give her a hug, it will do just that. But at pride festivals, my partner feels most at ease and isn’t afraid to “show me off.”

I think pride festivals are one of the best places to people watch. I love seeing all the different couples. I know, in every day life, if you’d call it that, you see male/female couples and think “they’re so different.” But when you see same sex couples (sorry, I’m focusing on same sex couples) it just has a whole new meaning. I think when I saw a same sex couple, I just feel “different” because I know they’ve probably gone through some of the same struggles I have. I like to “watch” couples, but not in a creepy sort of way. It just somehow, makes me feel more “connected” when I see same sex couples holding hands or laughing and being all happy. I also love seeing older same sex couples. Not because I don’t think older people can be in relationships…::Duhhhh:: But it’s just nice to see older same sex couples. I have no idea how long they’ve been together, but it gives me a sense of “that’s how I want to be when I’m that age.”

My partner and I don’t go to many gay and lesbian themed events, but pride is something we both enjoy. There isn’t the “drama” atmosphere, though scenes have been made. But it’s just a nice time for us to be together, to enjoy each other, and to of course people watch. We’re both famous for people watching. Not because we wish we were with other people, but because we both find other people so facinating. Not to mention, one of my favorite restaurants is near the pride festival, so hopefully we’ll be going there afterwards!!


-current mood-DREADING TONIGHT, thinking I'm not going to be able to get to sleep early, though I NEED to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home