Monday, February 06, 2006

First day of work

When I went to bed last night, I went to bed thinking that today was going to be an easy day. Wouldn't have been even a "day" had I not woken up at 2:30 this morning, and realized I didn't turn the alarm ON. Anyway, in the paperwork I was given, it was made to “seem” like all I’d be doing was a 1.5 hour orientation. Then after that, I’d probably get sent home. I wasn’t quite sure, so I went ahead and made a lunch for me. And a good thing I did. I ended up staying till 4:30. And by the way, I’m STARVING right now, so this post is going to be pretty quick ::winking::

I got up at 6:10 this morning, left at 6:45 to head to the train station. Got there plenty of time. In truth, I could have made the earlier train ride into the city. But I didn’t want to get to work TOO early. I decided to validate my train ticket just so I’d be ready for the train. The machine took my ticket, but it never returned. I didn’t know what to do really, so luckily there was a young man (teenage boy) that was sitting near me. I told him what was going on, and asked him if he could just watch the machine. I had no idea what the machine was going to do, and I didn’t want no one to be there, if the machine decided to spit out my ticket. It was a full months fare worth, and it’s not cheap. So I went upstairs to the customer service counter (lucky the station I go to, is a premium station) and they were able to give me a “replacement” ticket for the day. They said they’d have to get a technician to come out and find my ticket. Around 9:15, my phone rang and it was them, telling me my ticket had been found. I picked it up on my way home this evening. But let’s just hope tomorrow, the machine doesn’t decide to have a mind of it’s own.

So, the first 1.5 hours was just a brief introduction to the company. Along with that, we had a little training on fire safety and all that fun jazzy stuff. After that, R and I (R is also a newcomer) met with J, who will be training us for 5 weeks. The full training takes about 9-10 weeks, but J will be with us pretty extensively. We spent the first ½ hour or so (it was around 11:15 by now) going through our outlook, to “accept” these invites for trainings. It took a little while for me to figure everything out. But I went and had lunch, then I went back to what I was doing. I managed to figure it out, have 5 of my 9 trainings confirmed already…and then just did some reading. I read some more information about the company itself, and everything it has to offer. Might I say, it’s a VERY diverse company, but at the same time, it’s kind of like a “one stop shop” type of place. R and I did some reading of two cases that are actually now ready. We of course, won’t be ready for this for 3 months, but it was interesting to read about the individual, how they came about to be appointed by the tribunal, and what is to happen now.

I think the only thing I’m worried about, and of course, stressed out about…is the performance evaluation. We have one at 5 weeks, and 10 weeks, then finally when the 3 month probationary period is over, that’s when it’s decided whether someone gets to stay or not. But we have these evaluations 4 times a year, and I was doing some reading about it…it’s pretty intense!!! After each year’s evaluation, if you get a good enough “score” then you get a pay rise. But I’m just worried about actually passing the 3 month probationary period. This job is completely new to me, but it’s kind of scary, that it is. Even though I’m doing this training, I feel so out of the loop. I feel like I’ve lost a few of my “smarts” and just hope that I can make it. I know it’s only the first day, but I’m already overwhelmed.


-current mood-BLOODY hungry and I know I'll sleep like a baby tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job, how was midsumma?

February 07, 2006 5:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home