Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sunburnt feet and palms

I was out sunbaking today, though it was too hot to stay out too long. As I was baking in the 20 minute increments, I could feel the sun beating on the soles of my feet. As I felt the sweat forming on my body, I thought “why don’t the soles of our feet, or the palms of our hands get sunburnt?” I began looking at my hands and feet, and came to the conclusion that just maybe there is a different protectant layer of skin on our palms and feet. I know the skin feels much more coarse, or is that just because I have a lot of callouses (sp)? But all I know, is I never have to worry about putting sunscreen on the soles of my feet or the palms of my hand. Any educated guesses as to why??

-current mood-RELAXED, even though it's 105 F outside.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm not sure why but consider it a good thing cos it wouldnt be fun walking around on sunburn!

January 23, 2006 2:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/32433

Why don't your palms and the bottoms of your feet get tan in the sun?

Answer



Actually the palms and soles will darken if they get enough sun. And there's the rub. The palms and especially soles are not usually as exposed to as much sun as other parts of your body. But that's not the sole reason for lack of the tan hand, the palms and soles have a thicker layer of dead skin to the point of callouses which block the sun light from getting to the lower levels where the melanin is. Melanin is the pigment which "tanning" causes the skin to produce as a protection from the sun. And finally there is just less melanin in the palms and soles than other parts, mostly because the palms and soles aren't usually exposed to the sun and do not need that protection. Which brings us full circle. The callous on palms and skin is developed as a protection against friction as those parts rub against things more than other parts. Which brings us semi-circle, or somewhere.

January 23, 2006 12:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home