Monday, January 16, 2006

Math, I guess the stuff we learned in HS does matter

Today, I went to the place where I’ve been preparing to get a job, to do some testing. When I heard about testing, I thought “okay, how hard can this be?” I didn’t think it was anything I could prepare for, not like taking a test for university. These tests, I am hoping, were to assess what sort of skills I had, what sort of logical thinking skills I had, and hopefully for them to figure out whether I’d be a good fit into the company or not. When I took this sort of test at the current place of employment, it wasn’t very hard.

After finishing these tests, I felt like I was back in high school studying for my SATs. I didn’t do very well with my SATs back then and I didn’t do very well today. There were 3 sections that were timed. The first section, had to do with “find the one that doesn’t fit,” or “blank is to blank, as blank is to blank….” I did OK with it, but I don’t reckon I got all the answers correct. The second part of the test was all math questions. And math is my worst subject, I never could get the full grasp of math. There were 25 questions, and I don’t think I even answered ½ of them. The third section was visual stuff, like…”what comes next,” or “what doesn’t belong” in terms of looking at objects and shapes. That one was okay.

But the math, it really got to me, and I’m hoping to God it doesn’t cause me to not get the job. I thought the interview was the worst part, but I think taking these tests were far worse. I have been out of the loop with math, using math skills (other than basics), and it’s been like 7 years since I took a math course. I told T that, the HR woman that was administering my test. After I’d finished, we talked a little bit about it, and I explained to her that math wasn’t my strong subject. I told her that if I took a “refresher” course, I’d probably be okay, and that at my last job I didn’t do a lot of math..aside from inputing stats into the computer. I hope I haven’t killed my chance of getting this job. I will just have to wait and see. They’re supposed to ring me sometime this week. If all goes well, I will go in again, and do some “observing” of just exactly the job entails.

::keeping fingers crossed and saying a prayer::


-current mood-NOT CONFIDENT after taking these tests..but hopes it'll be ok.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi luv!

Am praying with you and also keeping my fingers crossed....

January 17, 2006 3:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home