Sunday, January 15, 2006

Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday

Even though I’m not in the states to celebrate this holiday, I thought I’d take the time to say “happy birthday” anyway to a man whose ideas and thoughts changed the way we as a society think today. Martin Luther King’s death was an unfortunate one. Not to say other people’s deaths were not as meaningful but I really feel like Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the “good guys.” As the saying goes, “all the good ones die…” I often wonder just how influential this man may have been, had he not been shot. I think of his famous speech, and know just how much those words meant to many people.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a wise man, and one that I’m sure all of us will not forget. Growing up, I always knew about Martin Luther King Jr. and how we’d always get his birthday off. I thought it was something that had been going on since his death. But I was doing some research one time, and came to find out, that this day of observation was not passed till the 80’s when Ronald Reagan was in office. It took the states THAT long to make a national holiday to observe this man and in truth, recognize him for all he tried to do. I guess one shouldn’t be complaining, because there are still a lot of people in this world, that has influenced history, and/or made history, and there is no special day to recognize and remember them.

Happy birthday Martin Luther King Jr., where ever you may be looking down on us all. Hopefully you’re smiling where ever you are and are at peace.


-current mood-LETHARGIC, for some reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home