Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Shoplifting

Today was my first day of work, for the 2 week job I’m working at. I was in the back room, where all of the home entertainment items are. My job, is pretty much pricing dvds and games, and making sure that the dvds that are going to be up for ad soon, are all set and ready to go. The place is an absolute MESS. I’m not a big fan of messes, so this place (which is usually the training room) is filled with dvds. You walk into the room and you see nothing but dvds, stacked ¾ of the way up to the ceiling.

I was busy working, and about 20 minutes into my shift, I was interrupted by a woman who asked me if I could just watch these two people in the office. I said “sure, no problem.” I had to do this about 3 times. I don’t know the whole story, and I’m not one to eavesdrop…but evidently, the woman in the office had been caught shoplifting. She had tried to take a baby toy (worth about 45 dollars I think) out of the store. She was with a couple of other people, but they managed to get away. But the woman, I’d say she was not even as old as me. But she was crying, and talking about how important her kid was to her. And she proceeded to tell the guy in charge (I think he was a secret shopper that caught her) that she had no idea who the guy was. She only knew him by first name, and she actually didn’t know him very well.

They were in the office for a good hour, before two police officers finally came. The people ended up not pressing charges, and I had to ask myself “had this woman not looked the way she had, would the outcome have been different? This woman was early 20’s, dressed well, wore lots of make up, and was white. I wonder if this woman had been male, and was of a different racial background than white, would they have pressed charges? Even though the item wasn’t that expensive, she still tried to take it without purchasing the item. She kept trying to defend herself and put the blame on this other ‘unknown” guy. But she DID take the item without paying for it, and she got caught. I think she was pretty darn lucky to not have been arrested. From what I was hearing, the police said that she had to pay for the item, and then this “incident” was going to be in affect for 12 months. I don’t know if she was banned from the store or not, but she did have something that was going to last for 12 months.

All too often I see the affects of people shoplifting. Just this past weekend, we went to a store, and in the shoe department, we saw an old pair of Vans among all the shoes. My partner looked at them and was like “these aren’t new.” I said “no, a kid probably traded his own shoes for a new pair and walked out with them.” My partner couldn’t believe that this had happened. I’ve seen it happen many times. I guess with working in retail for as long as I have (on an off) I see a lot of the end results of shoplifters. I don’t understand why people do it. Well, I DO understand, but I wish that there was a way we’d be able to catch people who did these things.

I can remember a time when I worked at Target, and I worked in the dressing rooms. If people wanted to try on garments that had the security button attached to a two piece outfit, they had to give it to me in order to try it on. I remember a woman coming to me, to try on a 2 piece bathing suit. She came out, with only one piece. I tried to ask her about it, but she just mumbled to herself, and ran off quickly. She evidently had the piece she wanted, ON, underneath her clothes. I couldn’t do anything about it, but I was pretty upset.

Shoplifting is so not cool in my books..and anyone who does it, along with robbery in general, I don’t have time for those sort of people. Sure people have their reasons, but I highly doubt any of their reasons are legitimate ones. We’ll save that argument for another day .

-current mood-KNACKERED!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home