Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Early morning disruption

My partner works the late shift. She works for 5:30pn-2:00am. Sometimes she works later, other times she comes home at her normal time of 2:30. We don’t get to bed till at least 3-4am. Being that I wasn’t working, I would stay up to wait for her. This of course will soon change, once I have my permanent job. Plus, my partner is planning on going back to dayshift, so that we can be able to see each other.

This morning, at around 7:30am, my partner was suddenly woken up by sound of trucks at the next door neighbor’s house. I think the people next door are putting in a swimming pool. Don’t know, but they have been working since 7:30 this morning. Any sort of noise like that, my partner isn’t able to sleep. So she’s been up literally since 7:30, with only 3 hours of sleep. She even went into the lounge and slept on the couch..hoping that it’d drown out the noise. But no avail, she still didn’t get any sleep. I woke up myself at around 9:30 and heard the noise. I always use earplugs when I go to bed, because I have to usually have it completely silent. Sometimes soothing music helps, but for the most part, I have to have complete silence in order to get to sleep. But with the earplugs, I didn’t hear the trucks coming and going till later.

My partner is at work now, and she’s bloody tired. I feel bad for her. Lucky for me, my sleep at present isn’t really necessary. I can afford to not sleep during the morning, because that just means I can sleep later on in the afternoon. Or at least go to bed early. My partner made the suggestion, that she wished she had known this was going to happen, that way she could have found another place to sleep. But it’s not really the neighbor’s job to let others know they are going to be working, is it? Most people work during the day, so being a shift worker, it kind of makes things more complicated. I just hope that the trucks don’t come back tomorrow. She’s not going to be a happy camper, my partner, if she gets woken up tomorrow. Might be a good idea to find out just how long it’s going to take, for the neighbors to finish what they’re doing.

I used to remember, when my partner and I were still living apart, and she was working on nightshift, how she’d tell me stories of people building in the neighborhood. How the construction people would be up at the crack of dawn, hammering away. And there was nothing my partner could do. She still can’t do anything. Earplugs won’t work for her. So instead, she’ll be losing a lot of sleep, and I of course, will have to hear the blunt of it. I so can’t wait till she goes back to dayshift. I wish it were sooner than later. But I guess, for the time being, we just have to hope there won’t be too much noise that will keep my partner up at all hours.

-current mood-IRRITATED at the neighbors

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home