Tuesday, December 06, 2005

UK to allow civil unions

Today is the day, where British gay couples are able to register for civil unions. Under this new Act, gay couples will have the same rights and benefits as heterosexual couples, which also include immigration rights. Once couples register, they have to wait 15 days before they can hold a ceremony. It is expected that like 500 couples will be registering for this civil union. How amazing is this? At once of the registeries, they are going to raise the rainbow flag, to show the diversity that is now enforced. I remember reading in one newspaper, that they were removing a couple of pictures from the registry, because it might have offended some gay couples who wanted to register there.

I think it’s great that the UK has done this. I know people are going to be up in arms, but from the reception I have been reading, it seems like there always is one in the bunch huh? But this hopefully will pave way for even more equality between gay and lesbian individuals and couples. I know the UK is pretty progressive, but this will open the doors to so many more people. I wonder if the people who want to register, have to be UK citizens or residents, in order to have the ceremony? I believe in Canada, the two parties don’t have to be Canadian residents or citzens. I know that most likely, the civil union will only be recognized in the UK, but it’s something that UK residents will be able to look forward to.

I don’t know if Australia will ever get their butts moving and enact something along these lines. I know in Tasmania you can apply for civil unions, but I don’t think you can anywhere else in Australia. I know in New Zealand you can. I know the current prime minister doesn’t approve of gay marriage, but what about something to the equivalent. I’m not going to go on my spheel about gay marriages just yet. I think we’ll save that for another rainy day. But it would be nice to have some sort of security, knowing that if something were to happen to us, or our partner, we wouldn’t be left high and dry. I know with superannuation, your partner, or sibling can be appointed to receive your money if something should happen to you. And this includes same sex partners.

So if my partner and I ever go to the UK for a long holiday, maybe, just maybe we’ll pop in to the registry and register to have a civil union. My stars DID say that an exchanging of rings or some sort of commitment ceremony is supposed to happen in 2006/2007. Maybe, just maybe it’ll come true.

-current mood-RELAXED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home