Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Winter Blues

This is the time that people seem to find themselves down and feeling really sad. I know I suffer from the winter blues. Recently I’ve talked to a number of people who are experiencing this. Even here in Australia, even though it is not winter, people are still finding themselves in some sort of slump. I know back at home in the states, my mum is going through it right now. She hates how when she wakes up and goes to work, it’s dark, and when she comes home, it’s dark as well. I can remember how much I hated the winter, because it affected me in so many ways.

Winter here is not winter as I know it. I am trying to think of just how I was, during winter this past year. And truthfully, I don’t feel I was as deeply affected as I have been in the past. Maybe it was the combination of winter not being so cold and dreary, to the fact that I had a heck of a lot more on my plate to worry about. I know I got sad and moody during the winter, but it had more to do with the fact that I missed my family and friends. Being here, and being secluded, it made things hard for me. I wanted to get out and meet new people, but a part of me didn’t want to either. I never really felt sorry for myself, but I could tell just how much the rainy days and the lack of sunlight affected me inside.

I try to think of ways of coping with the winter blues. When I was living at home in the states, and I’d get really down…I always found myself listening to sappy love songs, and watching sappy movies. Something about a good cry, it always made me feel better. When I was living in the states, I had friends who were more accessible, so if I was feeling down in the dumps, I’d be able to ring them, or even go out with them after work. People can easily tell when I’m upset or down, and even though I tried not to let it affect my work, it did at times.

I do hope those people who suffer from SAD are able to find solace in what ever they can. It’s just amazing though, when you think about it, how much sunlight or lackthereof, can affect one’s mood. But if we all can find ways of coping, I think we can all get through it.

-current mood-EMOTIONALLY drained.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home