Sunday, October 09, 2005

Honored teacher

Last night, I received an email from my mum back in the states. She wrote to me, telling me she’d won a teacher award on Friday. There was a surprise assembly and my mum was awarded this great reward. My sister and my dad were both there to watch her receive the award. My mum said she was going to be in the newspaper, so I went to the website and found it. It was a great article, and it made me all sad and sooky when I read it. I guess my mum is the first Oregon teacher to receive this American Star of Teaching Award. Her principal is the one who nominated her. The American Stars of Teaching award was created I guess to recognize one teacher in every state each year, as part of the federal “Teacher-to-Teacher” initiative. It is a committee of former teachers that get together who considered 2000 nominations, and winners were selected based on their success in improving academic performance for all their students.

I’m so proud of my mum. She has been teaching in the school district she has for 19 years now. She was at once school for 16 years till it closed down because of budget cuts. My mum went to a new school, a school that has one of the highest poverty rates in the state. She’s had some troubles adjusting to this school because it was so different, but I think this award has boosted her morale. But I may be biased, but my mum is an amazing teacher. She’s won a few prestigious awards before, and I couldn’t be more proud of her. The picture in the newspaper brought tears to my eyes. It truly showed a glimpse of just how powerful my mum is, in terms of her teaching. There were many nights she’d come home, or I’d talk to her and she’d be so down about work. She’s had quite a few troubled students, but my mum always was the one who took them in to her classroom. My mum has a special gift with kids, and teaching has always been her calling.

Well done mum I say..well done. I just wish I could have been there to watch you receive that award!!
-current mood-PROUD of my mum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home