Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sharks, should they be hunted?

Tonight on tv, there is a special on shark attacks. Australia is very reknowned for their shark attacks and I think recently there have been a number of reported shark attacks. I myself have never been face to face with one, nor do I ever want to be. I can’t even begin to imagine how dreadfully scary it would be to be at the hands of one. They’re deadly creatures, but yet so beautiful.

One of the main topics of tonight’s tv show is whether sharks should be hunted. Should people be allowed to kill sharks, to hopefully keep down the population? I really don’t have a reaction to this topic. It interests me, because sharks are animals, they need food. I’m not saying that human life should be part of the food chain, but what research has been done to prevent sharks from coming close to shore? Most people who are attacked by sharks are surfers. But how far out do surfers go? Isn’t it the surfer’s choice whether to go out in waters that may have sharks? I am sure people know where sharks congregate. And isn’t it an off chance that someone will be attacked by a shark?

Is killing off the shark population really the answer? If we kill off sharks, what will happen to their bodies? Are people just interested in the idea that IF a shark is to cause danger that it’s OKAY to kill them? Just how many sharks are people wanting to kill? Will it prevent people from getting attacked? I really don’t think. I don’t have a concrete resolution, but sharks will one day be extinct. I don’t believe that sharks reproduce enough to keep the line of life going on for a long period of time. And what if sharks do become extinct? Are sharks beneficial to the underwater life? Aside from being really dangerous, are there some positive aspects to sharks being around? I jus don’t think that killing the sharks off is going to resolve the issue. I really don’t know if anything will.

People need to just be more cautious, and that’s about it. There isn’t anything that one can do to prevent a shark from attacking them. So killing them off, I just don’t see it as being beneficial. Maybe I’m not seeing something others are? Maybe because I don’t surf, or I don’t know in waters that are known to have sharks, I don’t know what it feels like to be attacked, or even the threat of an attack. But I still don’t think there is any economic benefit to hunting sharks.

-current mood-HUNGRY for dinner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home