Saturday, September 24, 2005

AFL Grand Final

Today is AFL Grand final day. For those who are unfamiliar with AFL (Aussie Footy League) it is the equivalent to the US Super Bowl. The Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles are “vying” for the coveted title of premiereship champions. Unfortunately for us Victorians, there are not any local teams in the final. My partner’s family barracks for the Western Bulldogs. I of course don’t have a favorite time, not yet at the moment.

I remember when I first came to Australia to visit and I watched Aussie footy, it didn’t interest me at all. Everything seemed so different to the “gridiron” I was used to. My partner calls it “pansy footy” because our players wear shoulder pads. There will be an agreement on our disagreements with US football. But this season I got more into the sport. I think maybe because my partner and I had footy tips this season, it makes the game more interesting. I do miss college football (go DUCKS!!) but this AFL grand final should be an interesting event.

The game hasn’t started yet but there is plenty of entertainment on the tv for the pre-game show. One interesting difference, is that commercials don’t cost millions of dollars to run. Well, at least I haven’t seen any. For the AFL grand final, it seems more about the sport, than about making money. Thou I’m sure tickets cost a bit of money. Maybe one day I’ll be able to go to a grand final, but for now, I’ll be having my eyes glued to the tv.

-current mood-PUMPED for the game

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home