Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Affirmations, do they really work?

Throughout the duration of my life, when ever I've taken a "self-help" class or a type of training, affirmations seemed to be part of the curriculum. And every time we had to do exercises pertaining to them, I always found it difficult to believe that this would help me. Affirmations are supposed to be positive thoughts, and if we say them enough times, they are supposed to get our mind into thinking positively. But do they really work? Do they really result in positive endings?

When ever I am stressing, or really stressed out, I write affirmations on my little chalk board. It may sound a bit loopy, but it's something I do and it helps relieve my stress. Even if it's for a brief moment. The moments I'm sitting there and writing these affirmations down, as well as saying theout loudoutloud, mydoesn'tt doesn't seem to beat as fast, and I don't seem to feel as anxious. People can remember writing on the chalkboard, or on paper when ever they were naughty. As if writing "I will not swear in class" is a positive re-enforcement, and that writing it 100 times is going to NOT make someone swear in class. But for me, writing IS a positive thing.

Since last Tuesday I've been writing affirmations on the chalkboard every night. Affirmations that relate to my current mood, and current situation. Before, when I was stressing about going to New Zealand, and wondering whether I'd get the extension, I wrote affirmations. When I was stressing out about paperwork, I'd write an affirmation on the chalkboard. These affirmations got me thru the situations at present. And I'm certainly hoping and praying that the affirmations that I have been writing "Together we'll beat DIMIA," "The future is ours," or "God is on our side..." that someone will be listening and will help make our affirmations comes true. I don't believe that actually writing the affirmation is what makes a positive outcome, but the positive energy that I'm putting into the writing. The positive energy that I'm displaying, instead of being negative, THAT is what is going to get me thru anything and everything. Some may call it supersticious but I just call it positive thinking.

-current mood-STRESSED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home