Friday, September 30, 2005

End of September already

I can hardly believe a month has already gone by. It’s October tomorrow, and it rarely feels like it. I can tell that the seasons are changing thou, because I went to K-Mart earlier this week, and they had stocking stuffers already on display. Now, some may wonder why Christmas items are already out for sale. But here in Australia, they don’t seem to wait for anything, they just assume “okay almost October, we need to start getting Christmas stuff out.” Another factor, is that back in the states, Halloween and Thanksgiving are two holidays that happen before Christmas. Halloween happens here in Australia, but it’s definitely not hyped up. Plus, the jack-o-lanterns, they don’t exist here really in Australia either. So for me, Halloween has truly sucked.

I always loved getting ready for Thanksgiving, because after that, that’s when I truly knew that the Christmas holiday season was approaching. Aside from the cold nights, and getting dark extremely early, I could just get that feeling that the holidays were here. A time of joy and happiness and a time to be around those we love. But honestly, since coming being with my partner (no disrespect to her or Australia..lol) the holidays have just been so “blah.” I’m used to having hot cocoa and snuggling up next to a fire as we’re trimming the Christmas tree. Wearing shorts and a tank top and drinking cordial just doesn’t put me in the spirit of things. I’m used to it being bloody cold outside, where I have to wear a hat and a scarf to get the mail. Having barbeques and drinking a coldie, just doesn’t seem right

But tomorrow is the beginning of October, and then it’s November, and then it’s December. (Doi, aside from reciting the rest of the months in the year, I DO have a point ) This year has gone by so fast, and I ask myself, do I have anything to show for it? Hopefully soon I will…but I was hoping by Christmas time I’d be working. I’m hoping I’ll still be able to, but I’ve been out of work since January, and my body and mind is telling me it needs some educational stimulation. Well, maybe just some stimulation in itself. I’ve enjoyed my months off, but it’s high time I got back into the swing of things. I know I’ll be regretting those words, but I’m ready to go back to work. It’s going to be stressful looking for work, and then getting everything ready (a car, or somehow finding a way to get to work, where ever I will be) but in the end, I know I’ll enjoy it. It’ll be nice (especially for my partner) to have two incomes coming in. We’ve survived on one, but having two, we’ll be laughing. And we’ll be able to really “feel” what it feels like to be a couple, without the worrying of immigration, or knowing I have to eventually go home. Once this temporary residency goes thru, I’m pretty much a shoo in for getting the permanent residency in 2 years time. But it’ll be nice to come home and realize that we’re now finally, after 6 years, able to live like we have always wanted.

-current mood-EXHAUSTED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home