Sunday, October 02, 2005

America's Next Top Model

This post is for October 1st, 2005...blogger.com was down for maintenance.

I’m not a big fan of the fashion world, or modeling world for that matter. I think the industry is pretty rough, and just not something I follow. Aside from that, the idea of wearing make up and getting my picture taken all the time, or having to walk down a runway, wearing something that looks hideous, that just isn’t for me. In my more “feminine” days, people had asked me about modeling, and if I ever thought of the idea. I just laughed in their faces, because 1) I was too darn short, 2) I wasn’t about to lose a heap of weight, I was petite as it was and 3) I don’t think I could handle the stresses and strains of the model industry. I usually thought people were pissing in my pocket when they asked me about modeling. I don’t consider myself model material by any means, and certainly not now.

But last year when Australia’s Next Top Model aired on tv, I found myself watching it every week. There were so many cat fights, and there was one girl, “Sam” who annoyed the living out of me. She tried too hard, and it just wasn’t cute. But nonetheless, I really enjoyed the show. Not long after Australia’s Next Top Model finished airing, the 4th cycle of America’s Next Top Model aired. And I decided to “give it a go.” I knew Tyra Banks was involved in it, and I am a fan of hers. Not because she’s beautiful, but because of how empowering she is. And as “Twiggy” (famous model from the 60’s) recently said, Tyra isn’t small by any means, but she still looks beautiful. BTW, Twiggy is a guest judge I believe for the current cycle. I enjoyed the last cycle that aired. It made me interested in knowing just how the fashion/model industry works. And can I just say, there is A LOT of work that goes into modeling. You see the end result, but never see how much goes into making that end result as perfect as it is. It made me appreciate the fashion model industry, thou I would never put myself into it….even if I got paid heaps of money. Make up and dresses, are just not me .

So the 5th cycle of Australia’s Next Top Model aired here this past Wednesday. And I can say I’m quite excited about this cycle. Just like the last cycle, there is a lesbian. Michelle from the last cycle came out on tv, and is very feminine. The lesbian in the current cycle, Kim, is probably androgynous I’d say. And might I say, she’s quite a looker. “Eye candy” as others would say. We’re a few weeks behind the US episodes, and have heard Kim has already gotten a bit “busy” with a few girls. All the more reason to watch it eh? Nah seriously thou, aside from Kim, there are a few other very attractive women. Some of the girls, I often wondered how they made the cut. They aren’t what I would identify as “conventionally” beautiful, but hey, maybe the next top model won’t be. I kind of got peeved, when some of the potential contestants started crying and getting all emotional when they talked about their reasonings for wanting to be on the show. I understand some people have really survived a lot of strife in their life, but to me, it’s a pity vote. But maybe that shows what sort of person they are, and what type of personality they have. Let’s hope there is a lot of crying and whinging this season .

-current mood-ANNOYED that yesterday I couldn't post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home