Monday, February 20, 2006

Dialup

Yes, I happen to be one of the VERY few people who has dial up. But it was decided, that we would wait until I got a full time job, before we’d invest in dsl. I ended up ringing our internet service provider, and they told me that it’d take 10-15 working days for the modem and everything to arrive at our house. Then it’s up to us to hook up the dsl. I’ve hooked up dsl before, so I have a rough idea of how it all works. If it doesn’t, well I have a handy brother in law who is very computer savvy, and will be able to help us out.

But for the past few months now, when ever we have connected on dial up, it has been only connecting at 36-38 kbs. Now that is super super slow. So slow, that I get overly frustrated. But last night, for some reason…it started connecting back up at 48 kbs., what it should be. When I rang up about the dsl, I asked about why it was only connecting at 38 kbs. And the tech guy said that it has to do with the phone line. Not the line that connects to your computer, but inside the walls I guess. ::shrugs shoulders:: I asked him how this would affect my dsl download speeds, and he said it shouldn’t make that much of a difference. He said I should be getting 1200-1500 kbs. But he said to do a download speed test, once dsl is looked up, and if there is a considerable speed difference, to ring them up. But I was getting a little peeved, because we’re only getting 36-38 kbs, and we’re paying for basic 56k dialup.

I had to laugh, when I went online to check the contact details, the owner of the service (my partner) was filled in as Mr. I quickly changed it, but got a laugh, because I think the tech guy I was talking to, assumed that I was heterosexual. Personally, I think if there is no prefix to a name, there isn’t a need for it. It’s optional, so why the need? I thought it was funny at first, but then by the end of the night, I think I was a little irritated.

-current mood-RELAXED, winding down for the evening.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get that all the time with companies esp telstra! they always assume cos im a female when i say my partner i mean a male, i've had a few people flustered when i say yes my partner (insert very obviously a girls name here).

February 21, 2006 3:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home