Thursday, September 08, 2005

Migration agent loves to talk

Today, my partner and I went to meet with the GLITF migration agent at his house. We got there a little early so we ended up going to the park right near his house and wait there in the beautiful sunshine. Talk about a beautiful day. Where we live, it was windy as, still is. But where this MA lived it was absolutely beautiful. Anyhoo, we go back to his house and ring the door bell. No answer, so we go back to the car and just as we go to sit down on the side walk, he pulls up in his car.

We did our usual greetings and then he started talking. And OMG, he would NOT stop talking. Now, to paint a mental picture in your head, this man is probably in his late 60’s, early 70’s, gay of course, has a little white mustache, and bags like you wouldn’t believe under his eyes. He was a wonderful man, great help to us, but man, he could talk the leg off a chair!! As soon after we said hello, he proceeded to tell us where he’d been to lunch and how wonderful it was for him to be out with a bunch of other gentlemen and how he recommends this place he went to. My partner piped in and said “yeh if we’re ever in this neck of the woods again..being that we live over an hour away.”

Anyway, we walked into his house and instantly, it smelled like moth balls Must be something about older people and moth balls, they must be pack rats. It’s always interesting to go to someone elses’ house, especially if you don’t know them very well, just to see “how they live.” He tells is to go into the lounge. The lounge, now you’d expect a tv, a couch, a coffee table maybe yeh? No, this place had a couch, a table, and the rest of the area was taken up by bookshelves full of books about immigration and Australian citizenship. I was flabbergasted at how many books this MA had, I couldn’t believe it. If only I had more time, I would have loved to have browsed thru all of them. This guy must have been collecting them for YEARS. I do believe he worked for the immigration department all those years ago when he was just a young lad. But he was informative on his immigration laws knowledge.

We proceeded to sit down and he kept on talking. He was explaining to us about the fact that he needed to register for his MA license again and that he was sick on his birthday, and and that. Finally after about 30 minutes of just talking mumbo jumbo, we got to our paperwork. But even then, after every single question I asked, or even during, he had a story to tell. I wasn’t feeling the greatest (I think I’m coming down with something) and all I wanted was to hurry up and get the questions answered and then leave. Nope, not a possiblity, this man, anything you said, he had a story to tell you. I think after about 1.5 hours of being at his house we finally finished. But we only came to ask about 5 questions, and to talk about our immigration application. I never thought we’d get out of there. I reckon if we HAD stayed for afternoon cuppa, we’d still be there! The MA was a great help, but boy could he talk, and talk, and talk. Gotta love the ol’ bugger.

-current mood- TIRED AND DRAINED

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home