Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Tattoos and Piercings

I was watching a body modification special on the National Geographic channel awhile back and the things that people get up to amazes me. I myself am on the less of “extreme” when it comes to body modification. I have 3 tattoos, and have a few piercings. For me, the purpose of tattoos and piercings is either for aesthetic appearances or because the tattoos have sentimental value to me. As they are for most people I think who have them. If you were to see me walking down the street, you would have no idea that I had 3 tattoos. I have my ears pierced 3 times, my cartilage pierced, as well as my belly buttom done. But when people see me, they don’t perceive me in a way that they’d probably perceive someone who had visible tattoos or piercings all over their bodies.

When I see people who have many piercings and tattoos I often ask myself “why do they choose to do this?” People have asked me “why did you choose to do what you did?” And my only answer is because I wanted to. People then ask “well, when you’re 80, what are you going to say about your piercings and tattoos?” And I explain to them “when I’m 80, am I really going to care? Do I have that low of a self esteem to be worried about old tattoos or piercings I got when I was in my 20’s? I highly doubt it.” I have a few tattoos, they’re nothing extreme, and no one can see them except for my partner, or sometimes when I’m on the beach with a two piece on. I am still “presentable” but yet I feel like I’ve been able to express myself in the way that I feel is comfortable for me.

But when I see a very tattood individual I DO ask myself “why DO they do this? Personally I don’t find it very attractive seeing someone who has tattoos all over their bodies and them so pierced they could set off a metal detector. But I understand it’s a way of expression, it’s how people express themselves differently than others around them. But am I more inclined to feel comfortable doing service with someone who has no visible tattoos, as compared to someone who has a lot of them? I hate to say this, but the answer is yes. I know there is nothing wrong with people who have many tattoos, but there is just some comfort level that I subconsciously fear when I am confronted with someone who has a lot of tattoos and piercings. It’s not an intimidation or fear factor, it’s more of “weird” factor for me. I know weird isn’t a good word to use, not at all, but I feel a bit taken aback sometimes when I see a very visibly pierced and/or tattood individual. I often wonder if they slice their tongues like a snake, or tattoo their whole face, or brand themselves for surprise value. They want to use this “shock” value toward other people. Other times, there seems to be an euphoric sort of feeling when someone gets a tattoo, piercing or some other form of body modification. Tattoo artists DO say that tattoos are addicting, and they are. But I seem to be able to know when to say “stop.” But what’s comfortable for me, may not be comfortable for someone else. Just like some people may wrinkle up their noses when they find out I have at least 1 tattoo. I used to think they were for “bad arse” people, but they of course are not.

But when people get tattoos or piercings, do they ever wonder how it’s going to affect their chances of getting a job? Back in the states, there are a number of companies and jobs that do not allow facial piercings, no more than 2 earring holes in each ear, and no tattoos to be visible when it comes to job prospects. Where I worked for 2 years in the states, I worked with a lot of youth where one of their main goals was to find a job. But a lot of them were out of luck because they had piercings and tattoos. Here in Australia, I find it to be a lot more laid back in terms of “allowances” with physical appearance. When I go out either to the grocery store or some place where customer service is going to happen, I have seen a number of people who have piercings and tattoos. The individuals make themselves presentable, they’re clean and they look professional. I guess here in Australia the whole “culture” is a lot more laid back, hence why it’s more socially acceptable to be tattood or pierced.

-current mood- SLEEPY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home