Friday, May 26, 2006

When Personality Affects Team Dynamics

A friend of mine, where I work, is very quiet. I've known her for almost 4 months now. And Gab is a very lovely person. She's very quiet, and usually when she talks to me, I have to strain my ears to hear her. But she's funny, and always makes me laugh. Without fail, when ever I have a conversation, I'll laugh at least once while talking with her.

She started the job back in November, but because of a few issues, she actually finished the training a little later than I did. As part of the training process, you're on the 5th floor for quite some time. Because our office currently is going through some major restructures, there is not enough room for everyone. So Gab has been one of the people who has stayed on the 5th floor, along with the other newbies. Gab has been doing a caseload of 20 clients for the past few months for this particular team. She's been doing her job, and as part of her personality, she tends to keep to herself a lot. But she still manages to do everything she's supposed to.

I recently found out (by her) that she's actually been placed in another team, and one of the other new consultants is taking her place in the team she was in. But Gab isn't doing what a normal consultant would be doing. Instead, she's doing assistant work. Don't get me wrong, assistants do A LOT of stuff, but Gab didn't get hired to be an assistant. But the reason why she's been placed in another team, is because there was "talk" from other team members, that maybe there was a difference in "personalities" which would not be a good fit for the team as a whole.

When Gab found this out by our training officer, she broke down and cried. And she's very upset. I understand her being upset, and I know I would be too. If I was a part of a team, for a period of time, and was told that because I wasn't as "vocal" as the other team members, that I was going to be yanked out of that team and put into another one, I'd be somewhat offended. Offended that no one had talked to me prior to making this decision.

Since Gab has found this out, about her moving to another team, she's been ill quite a few days. And I've heard from another colleague who is also a friend, that she's been looking at the newspaper for other jobs. I couldn't help but shake my head, when I heard this. Only because Gab is a wonderful person, and she knows what she's doing. I feel bad for her, that this has happened to her.

All of this brings me to the question of...was it right for Gab to be moved into another team, and doing another role than what she was hired for, all because she's more quiet than others? I understand that different personalities can cause a lot of tension between people. But why are people so quick to make changes, without giving the current chance a go? I say this because Gab hasn't been down with the team she was assigned to and helping out with. There wern't enough desks to fit her. That is because I had to move to the building from a different building. I was given a caseload, thrown in the deep end...and I needed as much support as I could get. But there was some desk hopping, and I managed to find a permanent place. But that meant Gab couldn't actually sit with her team. But Gab was fine with that. But when she was ready to move down stairs, that's when she was told she was going to a different team.

I know not everyone can get along with each other, and it isn't expected. But I guess I just wish management would have given her a chance to "prove herself" before yanking her out of the game. I just hope this move doesn't cost me losing a great friend. But then again, it's the company's loss. But for me, it's a even bigger loss. So crossing my fingers, that Gab decides to stick it out and see how things go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home