Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Why do we avoid helping??

Man arrested over Zhang murderBy 7News (thanks to http://au.news.yahoo.com/060522/23/z2hb.html )

Police have arrested a 24-year-old man following the discovery of missing Melbourne woman Juan Zhang's body.
Caulfield North man, Yiwen Pan, is expected to appear in Melbourne Magistrates court today charged with Ms Zhang's murder.
The 35 year-old's body was found in the boot of her own car, which had been missing since her disappearance, in the city's south east early this morning.
Ms Zhang was last seen leaving her workplace with a large sum of money in West Melbourne five days ago.
Eight witnesses heard a woman's screams at the time of her disappearance, but none called police.
On Sunday, Homicide Squad Detective Senior Sergeant Ron Iddles said a pool of blood, human hair and spectacles found at the scene the day after Mz Zhang's disappearance suggested she was probably dead.


Why do we avoid helping people? This story has me baffled on so many levels. But it was stated that 8 people heard these woman's screams, and heard her arguing with someone for 4 minutes..but yet no one called police. Why is that? Are people afraid of getting involved? Are people thinking "someone else must have rang by now, so I don't need to?" So what if someone already has, the police can state "we've already got a call on this case." What harm can be done, if more than one person were to call the police?

I understand that people don't want to get involved because it isn't their business. And in this day and age, you don't want to be somewhere at the wrong time. Your own safety is important, but at the same time...you risking just a little bit of your time, could save someone's life.

This story ended in tragedy, when in fact, something could have been done. People shouldn't be feeling guilty over not calling, but I know for me, it makes me think of whether I'd help. I think had I heard screams and arguing, I would have been a bit freaked out. But I probably would have gone to a nearby store or business, and reported to them what was going on, in hopes that someone would call the police. I don't think I would have wanted to be the one reporting to the police. But at 6:00, what businesses are open?

Watching the murdered woman's finance plead on tv, was as heartwretching as can be. I can NOT imagine what he must be going through right now. But it's believed that this woman died the day she disappeared, so she had no chance. But situations like this, really make you wonder just how far you'd go to help someone, or how far you'd go to avoid a situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home