Monday, September 12, 2005

9/11 Anniversary....a day late

In today’s newspaper, it was brought to the attention of the Australian public that someone in a taping targeted Los Angeles and Melbourne as potential places for a terrorist attack. This of course was “revealed” on the 4th anniversary of 9/11 happening. The government here in Victoria says that the main reason for this tape is a scare tactic, and that they won’t raise the terrorist alert. Even if they DID raise the terrorist alert, how could any of us possibly be prepared for what may happen? Sure the government can “up” the security for events such as Aussie Footy Final, Melbourne Cup, or even the Commonwealth games next year in Melbourne, but why would someone target an event that they knew security was going to be stiff anyway? In a way, listening to the tape put a glimpse of worry into my mind. But at the same time, I know that I can’t live in fear for something that may or may not happen.

4 years ago, when 9/11 happened, I was here in Australia. I remember vaguely that my partner had to get up for work. This is when she was working dayshift, so getting up at 5:30am was her ritual. I don’t remember whether I heard the alarm clock go off or not. I don’t remember whether I heard the news first on the radio, or if my partner had come in from her shower to tell me. I do remember when I heard it for the first time, I was in complete shock. It didn’t quite catch on to me, that something this horrific had happened. By the time we heard the news, all three areas (NY, Petagon, and Pennsylvania) had all been hit. As soon as I heard the news, I got out of bed, turned on the tv and every single channel had news about what had happened. The footage that people had taken completely took me by surprised. I was taken aback, for it seemed so surreal. It really felt like we were watching a movie. Still to this day, every time I watch footage from 9/11, I get a surreal chill that crawls down my spine.

Immediately after the shock turned into reality, I immediately rang my mum. Even thou I’m from the opposite side of the United States that this horrific act happened, I was worried about my parents. She told me that they had a lockdown at some schools. I don’t believe she went to school, because all of this happened before she was up. But my mum was so worried about me, strangely enough. I remember her telling me that if things got worse, that I was to come home. I was not a very happy camper, because I didn’t want to go home. I felt like I would be safer all the way here in Australia, than back in the states. But I could understand how my mum wanted me back with her, close to her, just in case anything happened.

Coverage went on for hours and hours, days and days, and no matter how much we watched, it didn’t seem like we could get enough of what was going on. What drove people to do such a horrible act? How many lives have been forever changed because of this one day? What was behind the act, was it George Bush, or his father even? Everyone speculated what would have caused a group of people to do this. Some people wondered had Al Gore been put into office instead of George Bush, would this have happened? We don’t know, and by now, it’s not something we care. But thinking back to how George Bush handled the situation once he found out the WTC had been hit, I can NOT imagine what was going thru his mind. He would have been a complete wreck. Chaos was happening all over, and it went on for months and months. So many lives were lost, and for what? Why we ask ourselves? It still baffles me about what happened, and even thou I wasn’t directly affected, nor was I even in the country when this occurred, to me, it counts as one, if not THEE saddest day in world history.

So a day late, a moment of silence…….my thoughts go out to all those who have been affected by 9/11.

-current mood-SILENT, remembering those who died in 9/11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home