Monday, June 18, 2007

First day of freedom

Well, technically, Saturday was my first day of freedom. And might I say how stress free I've been since Friday night?

My last day at work was sad, and exciting. Unfortunately on Thursday I woke up with a massive headache. Then Friday, I woke up with a pretty upset stomach. I think the reality of me quitting and being unemployed was sinking in. But Friday was good. I was able to have a "team" lunch to just have a chat and relax. Friday arvo, we had a small "afternoon tea" and I got a great card, and a gift voucher. I spent a lot of the day saying goodbye to people. I know I should have been doing my work, and I still did (I only had 3 pieces of mail left in my mail tray).

I woke up Saturday morning, at 7:45...I could hardly believe that I was actually up. But I woke up, and sat and wrote a bunch of thank you emails to everyone who I felt made a positive influence during my time at my job. It gave me time to reflect on just how important the friendships I made, and just how I may have impacted others. I know with working for a big company, it's hard to get close to people...but I did that.

I woke up this morning, and was sort of sad...knowing that I wasn't going to work. But I was happy that 1) I could sleep in and 2) happy I didn't go to work, after hearing about the shooting in the Melbourne CBD. I would have been already at work (as I am an early riser), but all day I kept thinking "I hope people at the other office are okay."

Part of me is excited about trying to find a new job, but part of me is already stressing. Finding work is such a daunting job, especially trying to find a job in a different country. I was fortunate enough to get the job I did, because a friend of my partner worked at my job, in a different department. I will be very grateful for the job and experience while at my job, and I thought I would be there for a couple of years.

This "friend" of my partners, that referred me to my last job, told my partner I should have asked for a transfer to a different team. But the team wasn't the problem or issue, in fact, FAR from it. It was the work load, and the high expectations I put on myself. I sort of feel like this friend made me feel like I was "copping" out and "quitting." And maybe I was. But I was seriously unhappy. Maybe I've been unhappy for a number of reasons, and it wasn't just the work pressures. And maybe I should have stuck it out, but I tried. And unfortunately it didn't work out.

I know there are a lot of jobs out there...it's just a matter of selling myself. I know I have to have more confidence in myself too. I tend to lack in that department ::snickers:: I do think thou, that part of me is stressing about finding work because I don't know what it is I want to do. I mean, I know I want to go back to social work and working with other people. But the social work/human services department is a bit different here.

I feel like all of my jobs have just been "jobs..." but nothing in terms of a career move. When I came back from Australia in 2002, I got a job in social work. But I got the job, with the idea that this wasn't going to be a long term job. It was going to be something that would give me work experience until I could move to Australia. I was hoping that my last job would have been a job I could really grow into.

Awww, I better stop, before I get myself all worked up. I told myself I'd relax this week...and I need to do that ::laughing lightly::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home